Monday, November 05, 2007

Life in the Big Apple


It's official - I'm exhausted.

I had a lovely time in New York but it's an awfully long way to go for what was essentially two and a half days. It was alright for Mrs F-C. She only had to train it up from Baltimore then back to Washington. Still, it made a change to be somewhere else, somewhere different.

The thing about New York it's very grown up. It's all muted colours and wide streets. And it's so clean too. I remember when I first went in 1982 and we were terrified. It was a very different place then. Now, it's so safe it's ridiculous. And it's so easy to navigate too.

We did have some lovely food. The best Mexican I've ever had was eaten at Rosa Mexicana on Columbus and 62nd, and we had a great Turkish lunch at Antique Garage in Soho one day.

With the exchange rate being so good at the moment we did a lot of shopping. Another suitcase had to be bought. Our hotel was right on Madison Avenue with views up both ends of it. All too perfect really. The only drawback is no one can understand a word you say and vice versa.

I put on my ipod and listened to the Midnight Cowboy soundtrack which was just perfect for walking down Fifth Avenue to.

So now I'm back.

Great.

6 comments:

A Kitten in a Brandy Glass said...

This is nothing to do with New York, but I know you'll know the answer, FC. What was the proper name of the bag-shaped creme-centre in Terry's All Gold? It was the Chartreuse Something-or-other, wasn't it?

Jon Peake said...

Well, in the 70s it was called Chartreuse Bullion, but now I think it may be some sort of truffle.

Chris Hughes said...

Welcome back, F-C. I've missed your brand of brusque.

Valentine Suicide said...

Did you bring presents?

Jon Peake said...

Yes, I brought presents. And they've all been eaten.

TimT said...

Welcome back! I trust your emulation of Midnight Cowboy didn't extend to any of the shenanigans Jon Voight gets up to in the course of the movie...

Labels