Monday, June 22, 2009

Diamonds And Pearls In Your Hair...


While not quite as Persuaders as it could have been, the F-C summer getaway was very nice, apart from heat rash, sitting in the shade covered in factor 50 and temparatures of about 34 degrees. Still, lovely views across the mountains from the lavender-fringed infinity pool, when it wasn't too hot to plunge in.

Mrs F-C and I have both decided once and for all that we're really not good in the heat and so it's Scandinavia all the way from now on. I burn so easily. As a child in a family of tan-at-the-drop-of-a-hat sunworshippers, holidays were never much fun for me until I begged my parents to take me to to Holland in 1980. Even though we still managed to find a beach there, that was much more my kind of holiday. I've never looked back.

Even Paris was humid as hell, but we had a super hotel, very well appointed in gorgeous St Germain and lived the Left Bank life to the full. Where Do You Go To My Lovely was in the air at every turn, and Pop A Paris was never off the ipod. I do like Paris. I could happily live there - for a while. It's so civilised and so big. I much prefer the city to the country.

So now it's back to the old routine. I got a bit of a disappointment while away, over something that's been bubbling under for quite some time, but nothing personal and nothing that I can't put me behind me now.

Here's the rest of the year.

Are you well?

10 comments:

Mondo said...

Apologies if I've recommended it before, but have you tried Belgium FC? Could imagine it may suit your holiday needs..

How are things? Dreadful, I won't go into detail but I really don't think I've ever had worse couple of weeks, full of random madness, bank fraud and fist-fights. Not good. Not good at all..

Jon Peake said...

Yes, PM, I'm a fan of Belgium. It's France on a more manageable scale.

Fist fights?! At your age?

A Kitten in a Brandy Glass said...

I suffered similar childhood holidays to you, it seems - constantly being taken to horribly hot places where there was nothing to do but sunbathe (which I hate) and swim (which I can only barely manage to do). So now it's cities all the way, and never in the height of summer.

Good to have you back, FC: it appears everyone's been having a crap time lately, including me, so we need your vitriol and sophistication as a distraction...

Mondo said...

Yes - we were taking my youngest on his Sea Cubs Local Knowledge Badge walk around a local beauty spot - a staffy bull terrier was off the lead, running amongst the children (it had already jumped up at me - and I'd asked the owner to get it on a lead)eventually it knocked one child over and started to chase mine, so I gave it a punt as went past. Owner not best pleased and came over and started with his fists and finished with headbutt..

Fortunately his shoulder dislocated after this and was on the floor screaming in agony with the dog in his face and the kids in tears - I think we all learnt some local knowledge that day..

Mondo said...

On a lighter note have you tried Ghent in Belgium - There's one street loaded with shops selling nothing but vintage wallpaper - seventies style too..

Sky Clearbrook said...

Well, F-C, it's grand to have you back.

For me, nothing quite as dramatic as PM's recent experiences (thank fuck), but if anyone has a cure for career-progression-opportunity-disillusionment, then please let me fucking know. Also, any treatment for blog-despondency wouldn't go amiss either.

So, in general, sick to the back fucking teeth, quite frankly. Like AKIABG says... looking forward to you giving us some much-missed vitriol.

Welcome home!

Jon Peake said...

Gosh PM, what sort of neighbourhood do you live in? Time to quit Southend! I have been to Ghent about 100 years ago, but anywhere that has a street selling vintage wallpaper is F-C holiday heaven. I'm already there.

Sorry to hear everyone's miserable and I can't help you I'm afraid AAA as I'm hovering on the brink of that too.

But still, I'm back now, so I'll dream up all sorts of thinks to rage at.

I might start tomorrow with This Is Your Life.

Kolley Kibber said...

I can tolerate most extremes of heat, but have huge sympathy with those who can't. It can really ruin a break if you're constantly scuttling for shade.

My current state would be best described as 'light lethargy, with a sprinkling of irritation'. Which has got to be better than having being set upon by nutters and their dogs, like poor Mondo. Sarfend, will you never change?

keV said...

Don't be downhearted, F-C. At least it wasn't Frith or Hilton...

keV said...

Perhaps now go for Zoo job instead?

Labels