Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Eureka moment!


While there just aren't enough hours in the day for me to get round to finishing the rose tiered petticoat I've been sweating over for months now*, it's taken me a good 26 years to work out that in Once in A Lifetime (a song that always reminds me doing my O levels, along with Lawnchairs by Our Daughter's Wedding, New Life by Depeche Mode, There's A Guy... by Kirsty MacColl and Body Talk by Imagination), Talking Heads are not singing 'And as the days go by/there's no automobile' but rather 'Letting the days go by/let the water hold me down'. Honestly, I had no idea until today.

But then I didn't realise Basil Brush was a fox until about five years ago. I thought he was a brush. Because I don't like that puppet, I'd never given it much thought. Then it struck.

*As if

5 comments:

TimT said...

And did you know that Basil Brush was based on Terry-Thomas? I never realised until I read it in The Word recently.

I never got Talking Heads, even after seeing 'Stop Making Sense' at the cinema. They were far too arty and intellectual for their own good, and there's something about David Byrne that makes me want to slap him. Hard.

Gwen said...

I loved Talking Heads and still do. I thought the line was "Water flowing underground". It always made me think of sewers. I will see it in a new light now. Thanks FC.

ally. said...

i'm a huge supporter of the misheard lyric. and terry thomas. but like homer my deepest fear is sock puppets (well alright not really i'm scared of loads of things)

Little Johnny Jewel said...

Gwen, you are right about that line:

Letting the days go by/let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by/water flowing underground
Into the blue again/after the moneys gone
Once in a lifetime/water flowing underground

I love the Talking Heads, AND I would like to give D Byrne a slap. He is an arty-farty wally sometimes, but you often need a bit of arty-fartiness in you to get to the art, don't you think?

Sky Clearbrook said...

I didn't much like the Sisters' early EPs or first album much, so that probably upsets the purists.

On the other hand, I'm with you on "Lucretia" - it's that catchy bassline which hooks you in. In fact, all of the singles off "Floodland" and its follow-up "Vision Thing" are just immense.

Labels