Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Five tunes from the Five-Centres ipod No.6



Harvest Time/Water Into Wine Band. Very traditionally folky, but with an afternoon TV Farmhouse Kitchen edge. At first this sounds like it should be the theme tune to a programme about country ways, and indeed it may well have been. But after about two minutes the vocals kick in and it really is harvest time. Unfortunately this track seems to have disappeared from later pressings of the CD.
Available on Early Morning Hush.

Swinging London Scene/First Impression. A typical day in the life of Swinging London. Don't you wish you were there? You will now.
Available on Swinging London.

World Of Water/New Musik. I'm a big fan of their 1980 wintertime smash Living By Numbers, a song as bleak as they come. I also remembered their other non-hits like Sanctuary and this one. Nothing like a nice bit of turn-of-the-decade cold weather synthpop.
Available on From a to B (sic).

Pentangling/Pentangle. You know I'm a huge fan, just can't get enough of her voice, that double bass, those guitars, his voice. Everything touch turns to gold, not least this double-bass heavy slightly jazzy in a village hall sort of way that runs for more than seven minutes. Great for driving round town to.
Available on Pentangling (Disc 1).

Lucretia My Reflection/Sisters of Mercy. I've got quite into goth recently so made a long playlist which involves the usual heavily made-up suspects. This is a standout though, a proper pop song. The dark side of the 80s.
Available on Floodland.

5 comments:

office pest said...

Yes, Living By Numbers is a goodie. I also remember Fade To Grey & Night Train by Visage, and Being Boiled by the League, in their 'original' form.
Also, for me, Japan's material still stands up today. Quite thoughtful, and at times, swinging! What about you?
I expect Radiohead listen to them all the time.
Ah, those were the days.

Jon Peake said...

I loved Japan then and I love them now. I think the Tin Drum album is a classic waiting to be rediscovered.

office pest said...

I agree. I saw them play live in 81 or 82, great stuff and they were all that I expected. Unlike others!

Valentine Suicide said...

Quiet Life's the one for me!

Nice call on the Sisters of Mercy. I'm still really fond of those early singles. Alice, Anaconda and Temple of Love

Gwen said...

Sisters of Mercy reminds me of heady days in Goth Discos in the 80s/90s. I was never a goth but was assumed to be one due to my frequenting of said Goth Discos!

Labels