Monday, January 19, 2009

And you think you're badly off...


As I sit here waiting for the plubmer - again - I thought I might jot down my feelings about Slumdog Millionaire.

Mrs F-C and I don't make it to the cinema very often, despite being surrounded by an embarrassment of them. I don't know why this is, but it just is. We both love it, and always make sure we're in time for the adverts and the trailers, and always manage to pick the seats we like. I can't be too near the screen, I like to be on the aisle because inevitably I will need the loo and I like to stretch my legs out because I get awfully fidgety. I have Revels (new mystery sweet still a mystery), she has salty popcorn. That said, we hardly ever go.

So, are we sitting comfortably now?

I thought it was great. I had to see it now before I feel I've already seen it. It's becoming the hype of the year so better to get in there quickly before one goes off the idea.

This tale of a 'slumdog' winning Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, his answers coming from the experiences that have shaped him is superb stuff. It's charming, sad, beautifully shot, very evocative of the real India. One thing it is not is a feelgood film. The posters will have you believe otherwise, but feelgood this ain't. Even when he wins, that's a relief, but it's not feelgood like, say The Commitments is, or East Is East is.

Anyway, I urge you to go and see it if you haven't already. That song Paper Planes by MIA will not leave my head. Here it is if you don't know it.
Isn't that The Clash sampled?

2 comments:

Red Squirrel said...

Here's a comment, just to keep you happy.

Jon Peake said...

You are good.

Labels