Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Try To See It From My Angle...


That plane that disappeared is quite weird, isn't it? How can something so big just vanish. Where is it? It's like Lost. Perhaps it's slipped into another time zone, to a world that's only slightly different to our own.

Imagine what a parallel universe might be like?

For example, it might be a place where the Marmalade were the biggest band in the history of music. The Beatles split up in the early Seventies after a string of minor hits, with only George Harrison going to minor success. He went Top Ten with Hallelujah Freedom in 72. By the same token Sir Junior Campbell is everywhere. Awful business with that one-armed model though.

Or perhaps all place names and country names have been mixed up. So Belgium is Costa Rica, Sweden is Malaysia and Australia is Ireland. London is called Market Harborough. Glasgow is Truro, Cardiff is Port Sunlight. It all exists, just in a different order.

I remember seeing an episode of the Twilight Zone where a man woke up one day and words meant different things. He had to start learning all over again. Does anyone know what that was called as I'd love to see it again. It was in colour, so it was one of the remakes. Anyhoo, wouldn't that be strange, terrifying and fascinating all at the same time.

But I hope they find that plane or there's a conspiracy theory that will last for all eternity.

5 comments:

A Kitten in a Brandy Glass said...

That Twilight Zone episode is called Wordplay. Before reading the Wikipedia page, all I could remember about it was that the word for "dog" was "Wednesday".

Dan W said...

Glasgow as Truro - don't be absurd.

The absence of images / video from the story does make it very detached from the usual bombardment of 'viewer images' and clips that stories generate.

That episode of the Twilight Zone sounds fun. I'm looking forward to my dinosaur already.

Jon Peake said...

Thanks Kitten, that's the one.
If dog is Wednesday, what is cat?

Kolley Kibber said...

I've had that Barry M song in my mind too, but chided myself for having it...

Haven't seen that TZ episode, but it makes me think of Oliver Sacks excellent book 'The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat', which is full of true anecdotes about people with neurological disturbances, some of whom experienced bizarre linguistic distortions. Very humanely written, and well worth a read.

Jon Peake said...

Yes I've read that, ISBW. Very interesting read. I was intrigued by the title alone.

Labels