Friday, July 03, 2009

The most disappointing news ever...


I've just read in Broadcast magazine that the BBC has declined to revive one of my favourite sitcoms of all time, Don't Wait Up.

Original writer George Layton had gathered together all the original cast, including Nigel Havers and hopefully the woman who played Felicity Spicer-Gibbs for an updated version to be called Second Opinions. But after a read through, the Beeb baulked.

Shame on them! That said however, sitcom updates are usually appalling, so perhaps it's just as well. But I'd have given it a chance.

I often see Tony Britten at the garage near my house. He looks terribly old, fumbling for change and getting in a spin about his pin number. I'm sure he would welcome the distraction. And what's Dinah Sheridan or Jane How doing now? And what about Simon Williams? I know Havers has been guesting in dullard foodie US soap Brothers & Sisters, but he'd like the exposure too.

But it's not to be. Oh well, time to start my Nelson's Column revival letter-writing campaign. And isn't it about time they revived Upstairs Downstairs?

Were you a fan?

11 comments:

Cocktails said...

I saw Nigel Havers dining in Yauatcha last year. He still looked like a spunk (albeit in a posh kind of way). Bring it back I say!

Chris Hughes said...

I saw Nigel Havers walking through Richmond-upon-Thames in December 2007. I assume he was on his way to the theatre, where he was appearing in panto.

More Havers-spotting welcome.

Brian Rowland said...

Did Second Opinion reach pilot stage, or was it merely script stage?

The practice of reviving sitcoms is a frequent one, but it's rare for one to come back and be better than the original. Is Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads? the only one, really?

What's George Layton been doing all this time? The last thing I remember with his name on it was probably Doctor at the Top in the early 90s, which was also a revival.

Kolley Kibber said...

Nigel Havers has exactly the same effect on me as clowns do. My thanks to the BBC for keeping him off my screen for at least a little longer.

Red Squirrel said...

I used to live next door to Tony Britton in a shared rented house in Herne Hill. Lovely man. My mate Jon borrowed his garden rake off him once and when he went round to return it, Tony uttered the now-immortal (well, to me and my mate Jon) words: "Is that a little pussy I hear?"

Jon Peake said...

I love that story, Squirrel, but we should make it clear he was expecting his grand daughter.

Havers is not everyone's cup of cha, ISBW, it's true.

I've interviewed Nigel Havers, but never 'spotted' him.

Bright Ambassador said...

Isn't Havers about to come back with a trendy comedy on BBC2/3/4 or something? So I heard anyway...

My sister, a goth/punk/new roamntic type thing used to love DWU, would you believe? Personally I didn't fight the alternative comedy wars of the early 80s for that kind of thing.
What next, Up the Elephant and Round the Castle?

Brian Rowland said...

They're reviving Carla Lane's Butterflies as well, aren't they?

Jon Peake said...

I read something along those lines, Brian, but I do hope not. Much as I liked it back then, it' s not that funny and Carla Lane really isn't funny either. it's got disaster written all over it.

Brian Rowland said...

I have to agree. Did you ever see that documentary about sitcoms where Lane said, wiping back tears of nostalgia, 'I remember the BBC comedy department as somewhere which would say to me each year, "So Carla - what would you like to write about?" Alarm bells!

Clair said...

Nigel Havers is only good for appearing in the Daily Mail Weekend mag every three months. Also, Louche's dad was at Eton with him, and says he was a wuss cos he didn't join the motorcyle club.

Labels