Thursday, September 17, 2009

Say hello to Valerie, say hello to Marion...


Sad to hear that Mary Travers from Peter, Paul & Mary has died. I saw her on a documentary wearing one of those oxygen things recently, and wondered what was wrong with her. Now I know - she died of leukaemia. I always thought she had a lovely voice, and when I was discovering the folky then psychedelic sounds of the Sixties in the early Eighties, she and her group were one of my first ports of call. It's a good enough place as any to start.

Her rich voice suited all those covers they did, and their Too Much of Nothing (see below) and knocks spots of the Fotheringay version which itself is excellent. Their finest hour was the heartbreaking Leavin' On A Jet Plane, but I can't find an old clip of them singing that, only reunion ones, so we'll make do with this instead.

No comments:

Labels