Monday, October 05, 2009

School's out - forever

Idly looking at Friends Reunited over the weekend to see if anyone new ever puts their name down now, I was saddened to see that a classmate had died.

I don't know what she died from, but when you see the words 'died aged 44', you can't help but think of your own mortality. That's right, it's all about me, blah, blah, blah.

Anyhoo, I didn't know this girl terribly well, but I'd been through at least three schools with her, knew where she lived, knew her friends etc. I knew her, but we weren't big pals. It's sad to think that the cute little girl who's skipping in the playground, poring over Smash Hits in the corner of the classroom and crying when she fell over in PE would only live half a life.

I don't know that it's half a life. I note she had four children, one of whom was 20, so she got going pretty quickly. She have had a wonderful life. A full life and couldn't have been happier.

If only she'd had it a bit longer.

1 comment:

Kolley Kibber said...

I felt sad to hear that the 'Lucy' who was in the sky with diamonds, died last week in her forties. A song that was about a little girl becomes a song about a woman who died young.

Labels