Friday, April 30, 2010

Makes Waterloo Road look like Hogwarts


I'm glad that teacher got off. That trouble-making kid clearly deserved it, goading the poor man then getting his mate to film him being goaded.

I've said it once and I'll say it again: what type of society have we become? I hate kids. I know they're not all like that, but in the main they're horrid. I'm so glad I don't have to bring children up in this world.

That said, I wonder if they're any worse than kids were when I was at school? Of course in those days you had the pain of the cane hanging over you (I had it twice), the slipper (twice), the strap (three times) or the referral book (surprisingly never). It wasn't that I was bad, but I was disruptive. Teachers used to despair of me. I was a right little shit. Cheeky as hell and pushing and pushing until they could take it no more.

I carried this on right through work. It was only when I went back to college to do my journalism degree and I saw others pissing about in class that I realised that that was once me, and how annoying and time-wasting it is to be like that. Sigh.

Anyway, having all those punishments did me no harm. My parents never backed me up because they knew I could be a monster. There was no talk of human rights or suing the school. You just got on with it. It hurt like hell but it did me no harm, etc.

And I think that's what's missing today. There's no discipline at home or at school. Teachers' powers have been eroded. Respect is dead. So good for the jury in this case finding in favour of the teacher and not the silly little show-off he almost brained.

But I have to stop and think that that really could have been me. God, I've changed.

Be good in school kids.

8 comments:

Matthew Rudd said...

Heh. Only anonymous bloggers can say this. But, well, y'know...

Simon said...

Surely if the punishment worked you would only have had one of them once with no need for repeats.

Jon Peake said...

Well, I just couldn't help myself. And like childbirth (apparently) the pain memories fade.

John Medd said...

They can't even think of a word that rhymes.

Chris Hughes said...

I'm slightly alarmed by the new, tough-talking F-C. There'll be trouble down at the Five-Centres Boatyard, I'll be bound.

Jon Peake said...

Yes, I aim to knock a few heads together or we'll never get that order out. And don't even start me on what's going on at the boutique...

Kolley Kibber said...

I had my moments of being a right little mare to certain teachers (I still think Miss Moore deserved most of it), but there's no way my parents would have backed me up, let alone marched on the school spitting outrage and crying for vengeance, when I was disciplined. Many parents now seem intent on working out their own ancient grievances against authority, by ensuring that their offspring never have to yield to any.

I blame post-war capitalist democracy, meself.

Red Squirrel said...

Um, there's a bit of a difference between a stern telling-off, or even the cane (showing your age, F-C...), and being beaten round the head with a weight. I understand the bloke was at the end of his tether, and no doubt mentally ill in some way, but really - he's doing a job, and a large part of that job is controlling rowdy kids. Much as you may sometimes wish to, if someone at work pissed you off, would you viciously assault them?

Labels