Thursday, April 08, 2010

A prince among men


I was sad to hear of the death of Christopher Cazenove. But while we're on the subject, let me tell you my Christopher Cazenove story.

I was unemployed, but living in a plush part of south London in a fantastic flat overlooking a park that one of my flatmates found. She'd known the previous occupants and at £45 a week including bills it was an absolute steal, and only moments from the King's Road.

It was about this time in 1989. I'd been made redundant from a job I loved and had no clues what to do next. I was unemployed, utterly, utterly skint and lay in bed until lunchtime, except on the days I had to sign on.

On one of these days I dragged myself round the corner to the newsagent first in order to get some fags, looking dishevelled, unshaven, awful clothes and who should be at the counter chatting to the assistant but the in-those-days-instantly-recognisable, super-suave Christopher Cazenove. Hot off Dynasty he was still a big star. There he was in his casual blazer with his great hair, buying the entire stock of Camel cigarettes. Dammit that was my brand. And now there were none left.

I asked if they had any more and the woman said she was sorry but they didn't. Cazenove, taking the fag out of his mouth offered me one of his packets. I said, really, it's okay, but he insisted, and gave me one of his packets. No charge! What a dream for a man on benefits.

I saw him on occasion after that, realising we actually lived in the same road. And when it was Biggins who was parking his car outside our flat then he was off to the Cazenove's.

I moved out a year later, and though I only lived down the road a bit, I never saw the Cazenoves again. I think one of their sons died, his wife went into a decline and they split up and sold up. A sad end to what was always deemed a fairytale marriage.

So when I heard the news I thought of the generous chainsmoker who gave me a helping hand. What a nice man. And let's not say Dynasty was his finest hour. It'll always be the Duchess Of Duke Street to me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad news indeed, and coming only days after the death of his former Dynasty co-star John Forsyth. Expect the Daily Mail is putting together a Curse of the Carringtons spread as we speak.

My recollection, incidentally, is that he and Angharad Rees divorced a few years before the death of their son, but I may be wrong.

A Kitten in a Brandy Glass said...

Aww, what a gent. You don't hear many stories like that about Danny Dyer, do you.

Jon Peake said...

I'm unsure of the timeline, Anon, so you're probably right.

Danny Dyer may turn out to be a gent in the long run, Kitten. But I wouldn't hold your breath.

Kolley Kibber said...

That's just about perfect.

Labels