Thursday, September 20, 2007

Just call me Dave


I hear that UKTVG2 is being rebranded. They're going to call the channel Dave. Seriously. Because 'everyone knows a bloke called Dave' and it's going to be the home of 'witty banter'.

So you've got UKTVGod, UKTVStyle and... Dave.

Honestly. Who comes up with this stuff? What absolute tosh. Sounds like something a smug group of magazine people might come up with, as being edgy, modern, effortlessly stylish etc., like the silly new Shortlist magazine. A men's mag with the word short in it. I don't think so.

Bollocks.

5 comments:

A Kitten in a Brandy Glass said...

It's quite gobsmacking, isn't it. I also feel a bit put out because I often stick G2 on in the background when it's showing QI or HIGNFY or Buzzcocks, but a channel called Dave sounds like it'll be all annoyingly laddish (à la Bravo), rather than pleasantly inoffensive as it is now. So thanks Dave, you've just cheesed off the female viewers you did have.

I'm looking forward to seeing Living TV being rebranded as "Maureen", though.

Jon Peake said...

I think Living is more of a Lauren or a Kelly, really. ITV3, now that's a Maureen.

Little Johnny Jewel said...

This naming-after-some-imaginary-bloke convention is something they've been doing over here in America for radio formats

see: this Wired story

What a lot of asinine bollocks.

Jon Peake said...

That's interesting Johnny. I hate all this marketing cobblers you get these days, it's so fake.

Nice to have a visitor from across the pond!

Bright Ambassador said...

Isn't there a directory enquiries service already called Maureen? Hang on a minute, let me just find a link...

Ah yes, here it is:
http://www.hellomaureen.co.uk/maureen.html

Labels